Organic Food Thesaurus | Sunflower Hospital Nagpur | Dr Jay Deshmukh:- Organic foods are in the news after the recent reports of deaths due to toxic exposure of fumes from pesticides. Organic foods do not use man-made pesticides, hormones, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, colouring agents. Monosodium glutamate is also not used.
What about irradiated foods?
- Irradiation and the use of genetically modified organisms are also not grouped under organic foods.
Why should one eat organic food?
- By consuming organic food one reduces the exposure to chemicals. Pesticides are by their nature toxic. Having food exposed to pesticides has been associated with Alzheimer’s disease and those exposed have a greater probability of malignancy and problems related to fertility
What are the advantages of consuming organic food?
- Sunflower Hospital Nagpur | Dr Jay Deshmukh:- Organic food has better taste and increased nutritious value. It is free from genetically modified organisms. It helps to control or may help in weight reduction. Organic food is easily biodegradable and does not cause pollution. It helps maintain soil structure, fertility and increases soil nutrient holding capacity. Cost of production is less as organic fertilisers can be prepared locally. Organic food is fresher as it does not contain preservatives that make it last longer. Organic meat and milk have more amount of iron, vitamin E, and some carotenoids which are antioxidants.
What are the disadvantages of organic food?
- They do not last as long as they do not contain preservatives. They are more expensive than nonorganic food. It is rare to find a good variety of organic food.
What are the possible risks of pesticides?
- Pesticides increase the risk of certain cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma, brain tumours, breast cancer and prostate cancer. Infants are the most vulnerable. It may result in developmental delays, behavioural disorders, autism, immune system harm and motor dysfunction.
Is it true that organic farms do not use pesticides?
- No, it is not true. Organic farms use naturally derived pesticides, rather than synthetic pesticides.
How is organic meat produced?
- The animals are fed 100 per cent organic or natural food. They are not genetically modified. They are not given any hormones that make them become bigger.
What foods are currently covered under current organic standards?
- Fruits and vegetables including mushrooms, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, dairy products and eggs and livestock feed.
What are the environmental benefits of organic farming?
- Sunflower Hospital Nagpur | Dr Jay Deshmukh:- Some ecological perks that you may experience by organic farming would be conservation of water, reduced inputs of diesel and fertiliser that may harm our Mother Earth. Improve and protected biodiversity minimise or eliminate the use of toxic substances that harm the planet and decrease the risk of global warming trigger.
Sunflower Hospital Nagpur | Dr Jay Deshmukh:- In view of many young lives lost due to spraying of pesticides in Yavatmal district and the fact that deaths due to spraying of toxic pesticides have become a huge problem in the developing world, organic farming may be an alternative. Organic food is safer and more nutritious. It may reduce global warming and organic farming may help us to preserve our environment.